Wednesday January 7, 2015 8:59 AM
With the winter holiday break now over and Dublin City School District classes canceled Tuesday, Jan. 6, because of a snow storm, many area residents are already looking forward to spring break.
This year the district’s spring break will be March 16-20.
Graduation will be May 30 and classes end June 2 for students in grades K-11.
Other days off for holidays, conferences and professional development include Jan. 12 and 19, Feb. 16 and 27, April 3 and May 25.
District officials said they had considered changing spring break dates to meet Ohio Department of Education deadlines for Ohio Graduation Testing, but an appeal to the ODE allowed the district to keep its March 16-20 spring break and hold the testing sessions the first two weeks of March.
May 30, graduation ceremonies for Dublin’s three high schools will be held in the Jerome Schottenstein Center on the Ohio State University campus.
Dublin Scioto High School’s graduation will be at 10 a.m.
Dublin Coffman High School seniors will graduate at 1 p.m., and Dublin Jerome High School seniors at 4 p.m.
Graduation dates were determined based on the academic school year and the availability of the Schottenstein Center, district officials said.
The 2014-15 school year will end for staff and students June 2.
Calendars are set two years in advance by a calendar committee consisting of administration and staff, according to Doug Baker, the district’s public information officer.
If the district misses more than six scheduled school days, contingency days will be used after the last day of school.
In 2014, the district used six calamity days, one over the allowed five.
They made up the extra calamity day on June 2.
This year, schools no longer have calamity days.
Instead a district has a set number of hours of classroom instruction that must be achieved.
The remainder of the 2014-15 school calendar includes:
• Jan. 7: Middle school schedule community meeting (7 p.m. Henry Karrer Middle School).
• Jan. 9: End of first semester.
• Jan. 12: No school- Middle school and high school teacher work day, elementary teacher professional development day.
• Jan. 14: Middle school schedule community meeting (7 p.m. John Sells Middle School).
• Jan. 15: Middle school schedule community meeting (7 p.m. Ann Simpson Davis Middle school).
• Jan. 19: Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
• Jan. 21: Middle school schedule community meeting (7 p.m. Willard Grizzell Middle School).
• Jan. 27: Coffee with Superintendent (10:30 a.m. Sunny Street Cafe).
• Feb. 6: Dublin Community Night with the Blue Jackets (7 p.m. Nationwide Arena).
• Feb. 10: State of the Schools (6 p.m. Dublin Community Recreation Center).
• Feb. 12: Syntero’s Balancing Act Series (7 p.m. at Dublin Coffman).
• Feb. 16: Presidents Day, no school.
• Feb. 21: Dublin Literacy Conference (8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dublin Coffman).
• Feb. 23: Coffee with Superintendent (7 a.m. Panera in Dublin).
• Feb. 26: End of second elementary trimester.
• Feb. 27: No school, Elementary Teacher Work Day MS/HS Teacher Professional Development Day.
• Feb. 28: Dublin PROUD Science Fair (9 a.m. to noon at Willard Grizzell Middle School).
• March 13: end of 3rd nine weeks.
• March 15: Dublin Community Night with the Blue Jackets (5 p.m. Nationwide Arena).
• March 16-20: spring break.
• March 27: district dodgeball tournament (7 to 10:30 p.m. at Scioto High School).
• March 28: Summer job fair for students (9 a.m. to noon at Jerome High School).
• March 30: Coffee with Superintendent (7 to 8:30 p.m. Sumeno’s Italian Restaurant).
• April 3: No school, teacher conference time/ comp time.
• April 11: community champion awards Ceremony (10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Dublin Jerome High School).
• April 16: Dublin City Schools family night.
• May 15: Hall of Fame induction ceremony (6 to 9 p.m. at La Scala Restaurant).
• May 22: Last day for preschool.
• May 25: No school, Memorial Day.
• May 30: Graduation ceremonies.
• June 2: last day for students and staff.